Modern home decor often includes mosaic and ceramic floors. These flooring options look extremely stylish and are very unique. Despite their durability, they require regular cleaning and care. Take care of your ceramic and mosaic tile floors with a gentle hand and some simple cleaning techniques that will keep your tiles and grout looking great for years to come.
Below are some tips from experts at Dixie Tile Shop, a leading tile and ceramic store, when it comes to cleaning mosaic flooring and ceramic tiles.
Porcelain tile floors come with the benefit of being very low-maintenance along with their incredible beauty and versatility. Ceramics are created from natural particles that are shaped and fired at very high temperatures in a kiln.
Most other flooring options available at tile and ceramic stores cannot match this level of durability and resiliency. A glazed surface also protects them from dirt, water, stains, and chemicals, making them even more resistant to the elements. Although it is easy to maintain, there are some steps to follow to ensure that it remains in good condition.
How Can Homeowners Clean Tile Floors?
- Vacuum or sweep your ceramic flooring and ceramic tiles every couple of weeks. Grit and sand tend to dull and scratch the surfaces.
- Once the dirt has been removed, you can mop the floor. Use a rag or chamois mop instead of a sponge mop if you want to use a mild detergent and hot water. Dirty water is pushed into the grout by sponge mopping.
- Remove any hazy film from your tile floor with an all-purpose cleaner. It should be non-abrasive to avoid scratching the floor.
- Mix hot water and lemon juice to make your cleaner.
- Wipe the floor with a clean cloth after applying the cleaner. To clean the floor, push a towel over it with your foot.
- Use an electric floor washer or polish scrubber to give your ceramic tile floor a deep clean. A thorough cleaning should make the tiles and joints look brighter.
Natural Ways to Cleaning the Grout
When cleaning tile floors, it is important to keep the grout clean. If your grout is dirty, your floors will look dingy. The porous nature of grout allows it to easily absorb dirt, grease, and other substances. Wipe the grout clean with a commercial grout cleaner. A mild bleach solution can also be used. The cleaner should be allowed to sit for 10 minutes to get rid of deep stains. Scrub the grout with a toothbrush or small scrub brush, followed by sweeping the floor, rinsing thoroughly, and wiping dry.
Mix baking soda and water to remove stubborn grout stains. Let it sit overnight on the stain, then scrub with a nylon brush in the morning. Be careful not to scratch the porcelain with a metal brush. To prevent future stains and dirt, let the grout air dry, then apply a silicone-based grout sealer.
Mosaic tiles add decoration and dimension to a range of spaces in the home. You will find a diverse range of bathroom mosaic tiles, kitchen mosaic tiles or glass mosaic tiles gracing every household. However, regular cleaning is necessary to maintain the appearance and functionality of these tiles. Whether it is bathroom mosaic tiles or kitchen mosaic tiles, they typically get very dirty, and grime settles on them very easily. Following are some cleaning methods for mosaic flooring.
How to Clean
- Vacuuming is the standard method of cleaning floors. Using a brush or broom can worsen the condition of mosaic floors since they trap dirt and grime. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean mosaic tile floors. For efficient scrubbing off grime, use a brush or a dusting attachment, which dislodges particles from between tiles.
- The easiest way to clean kitchen mosaic tiles and bathroom mosaic tiles is by using soap water. First, prepare the floor by brushing and washing it with soap and water. You may also use detergents. Try cleaning one tile and see if it makes a difference.
- To clean corners, scrub the entire area with an old toothbrush. Scrub the soapy water from all corners. It is an effective way to clean floors. The tiles must be wax polished and then buffed with a clean cloth. Once the wax is buffed onto the floor, it is extremely effective. You get the desired effect.
- Baking soda can be used to clean mosaic tiles. Apply a mixture of water and baking soda to your mosaic tile and let it sit for 15 minutes. Brush the mixture on all of your tiles using a toothbrush. Rinse your tiles thoroughly with water. Soak a sponge in soapy water to wipe the solution away. Your mosaic tiles will be clean and shiny now.
- Avoid using Acid as it can have harmful effects on your glass mosaic tiles.
You should clean your tile floors regularly to prevent moisture and dirt accumulation. Experts recommend that you perform a regular wet flooring cleaning every two weeks for your kitchen and at least once a week for your bathroom. Besides routine mopping, make sure you sweep the floor or vacuum it at least once a week. If you do not do so, dirt and grit will build upon the tile and scratch the surface. Mosaic flooring and ceramic tiles can be kept looking beautiful and last for years if you know how to clean them properly.